KCA Appoints Yvonne Ruttoh as Program Director for Health and Wellness
Saturday, November 20, 2021 – Toronto, Ontario.
Kenyan Canadian Association - KCA, a federal not-for-profit that implements programs that focus on the black community and other marginalized groups in Canada has appointed Ms. Yvonne Ruttoh as Health and Wellness Program Director.
Based in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Yvonne is a Registered Nurse and holds a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from Aspen University, Colorado, USA.
She has been a nursing professional for over 25 years both in Canada and Kenya. She has worked in various positions in Canada as Nurse including being a Community Health Nurse in the Government of Northwest Territories.
Health and Wellness is an area of great interest to her. She is dynamic, passionate, compassionate, dedicated and motivated in helping people make the necessary changes in their lives in order to lead healthy lives. As healthcare professional with experience working with the marginalized communities, her focus is to promote health and wellness in all age groups.
As a minority community, there are numerous individuals with obesity, diabetes and other chronic illnesses most of which are a result of lack of physical activity, poor nutrition, poor stress management, and social isolation.
Mental health is another area of interest to her as she have experienced first-hand the effects of COVID-19. Her focus is to provide the necessary knowledge and support to the community as well as advocate for policies that promote health and wellness among all age groups.
Contact details for other KCA officials, can be found at www.kcacanada.org/index.php/contact-us
HEALTH AND WELNNESS PROGRAM DIRECTOR
The Health & Wellness Director reports directly to the President & Executive Director. The role will involve providing leadership and oversight of all health-related activities that will foster physical, social and emotional support.
The Health and Wellness Director will plan and execute community-centric initiatives that promote health, safety and well being. Knowledgeable in health, diet, exercise and lifestyle fields, The Health and Wellness Director should understand the needs of our target groups and use this information when devising plans to better the organization and our program beneficiaries.
Health and Wellness Directors must have knowledge of health practices and policies, prior leadership experience (preferably, the implementation of nutrition or athletics programs) and some management skills.
Education in fields such as Public Health, Exercise Science, Medicine, Nursing, Personal Support Worker, Chiropractic, Kinesiology (Sports medicine), Nutrition and/or other health-related studies is needed..
- Provide leadership in fight against COVID-19 including recovery and resilience.
- Advocate for policies that promote health and wellness among youth, seniors and other target groups.
- Create campaigns and develop materials on topics such as healthy aging, emergency preparedness, vaccinations, proper nutrition, and stress management. They may also oversee grants and grant-funded programs.
- Create fitness regimens that help diabetes patients control blood glucose levels, relieve pain from a torn ligament, aid in weight loss, lower cholesterol or improve blood pressure, for example.
- Teaching seniors and older adults how to perform exercises safely and effectively.
- Equipping program beneficiaries with tools for behavior modification and adjusting their dietary approach.
- Write program reports, collect statistics, and maintain program-related documentation.
- Identify new funding opportunities and preparing funding proposals for health & wellness programming.
- Oversee registration, maintain records, and collect data, provide ongoing evaluation reports as required by funders.
- Facilitate and implement capacity building by training and supporting volunteers as outreach volunteers.
- Provide periodic program reports to the Board of Directors.
- Work in collaboration with Secretariat, other Program Directors and Regional Chairs
- Recruit potential volunteers in the program committee.