February 8, 2021 – Toronto, Ontario.
Kenyan Canadian Association - KCA, a federal not-for-profit based in the Greater Toronto Area that implements programs that focus on the black community and other marginalized groups in Canada has appointed Mr. Denis Gregory Adundo as the Newfoundland and Labrador (NL) Regional Chair. This comes on the heels of similar appointment of Sam Kiragu as KCA Regional Chair for Nova Scotia back in August 2020.
Denis holds a Bachelor of Engineering & Bachelor of Business Administration (Double Major) from Memorial University of Newfoundland. He also has a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from Eastern Mediterranean University - Famagusta, Cyprus, Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance from Kenya Aeronautical College and Diploma in Accounting (ACCA) from Jeffrey's Institute of Professional Studies
Based in the City of St. John’s, he is an avid lover and player of rugby and spends his spare time volunteering with SPCA St. John’s (www.spcastjohns.org) and St. John Ambulance. He played rugby for several years in Kenya prior to migrating to Canada and being an animal lover with two beautiful dogs, he was naturally drawn to these organizations. Being involved in these smaller communities within NL has taught him the importance and value of having a community to which you belong.
While NL is a beautiful place to live, it does have less diversity than many other parts of Canada. He looks forward to building a sense of community for Kenyans in NL to ensure that those who migrate there have a broader community to connect with, allowing them to thrive and contribute to the betterment of Canada as a whole. He believes, through collaboration and integrated decision making, we can find creative solutions to the challenges faced by the marginalized and the visible minority communities in Canada today. He looks forward to the opportunity to give back to the beautiful province and the Kenyan community.
KCA has 18 regions across Canada and implements various programs including newcomers & settlement; social economic empowerment; youth outreach; sports & recreation; research, education & careers; seniors outreach; and health.
Contact details for KCA Regional Chairs, can be found at www.kcacanada.org/index.php/contact-us
NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR REGIONAL CHAIR
The Regional Chair will report directly to the KCA President. The Regional Chair will work closely with the Secretariat. Will oversee of all KCA activities in the region.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Closely work with other Council members to formulate ideas and work plans then implement those transformative plans in the region
- Act as the grassroot liaison for the program activities and projects in the region
- Coordinate KCA events and projects in the region in collaboration with project teams and program committees.
- Proactively represent KCA at official functions, events and meetings with Cities officials, political leaders and stakeholders in the region
- Where applicable, organize flag-raising, commemoration and proclamation functions in collaboration with city protocol offices
- Addresses regional issues in timely manner by working with the Secretariat and KCA Program teams
- Facilitates good working relationship with municipalities, political & community leaders as well as other strategic partners in the region
- Submit periodic reports to the Secretariat through the President – ad hoc, quarterly, half-year and annual
- Undertake other Regional activities and initiatives in consultation with the President.